Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Where the wild things are

During my stress relieving workout tonight, I glanced at the clock and found that it was 9pm already. Then as I rushed to squeeze in those last few exercises, I realized that I said "already" to myself. With LSU students all around me, I recalled college when it would reach 1am and I'd be with my friends on a Tuesday. At around this time, we would consider whether to go to sleep or continue with on with our night. It wasn't until we were bored or remembered we had an "early" class the next morning. Now, I'm trying to get into bed by 10:30 in order to get sufficient rest, or else I'm doomed to a day of failed lessons.

Things have changed drastically and we've swung from a life of bliss and little care to a life responsible for the future and well=being of already underprivileged students. Yet as challenging as it has been, I'm actually liking it now. The boys I've inherited have engraved their labels and reputations at Rosenwald Elementary (and for that matter, other schools they were expelled from), and I find myself really liking the new setting. These boys who have been deemed the rotten apples of the bunch have been handed off to me, and I think they like the respect I show them. Ms. Oliver, the student counselor I work with, and I have shown these four (and counting) boys a sense of equality and zero hostility. Because of that, behavior in our classroom -- and throughout the school -- has improved. They aren't scolded by other teachers and students which leaves them in a position to outwardly defend themselves. They are no longer looking over their shoulders wondering who's looking at them or judging them. With us, they look relaxed and calm.

Tyrese Bennett asked me as I took him to his Art class at the Centre For The Arts if I would adopt him. Mike Johnson apologized to me (perhaps for the first time his entire life) and is addressing me as Sir. Trey Johnson simply smiles (and growls) when he sees me. And Travis Derosan is simply the man.

I'll be getting more of the same type of students (boys of course), and I can't wait for the great moments we'll be having together. Already, Tyrese has tried to run away through the fire exit window and cut his lip in the process. Trey cussed out Ms. Kara. Tyrese and Mike almost fought and I had to restrain Tyrese for 20 minutes until our resource officer came to help. I've spent countless minutes, perhaps hours, talking Mike into coming back to class. And now I'm in the process of preparing 3 boys who are around 3 or 4 grades levels behind and 1 who is 1 level behind.

It's a grind, but I mine as well try to have fun with it. I think I'll be buying a FlipIt for when students have their outbursts to show you and have something to remember my boys by. Things they say and do are too priceless to miss. Because I have this type of bunch, things that come out of their mouth carry the same absurdity. It's normal to me now, but if you came into my class and saw Trey growling at me while Tyrese flashes out, you'd agree it's picture perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment