Monday, January 3, 2011

Damn has it really been two months?!

I would first like to say that I'm ashamed for neglecting this blog for so long. A lot has happened since I last updated this blog, and during that time, I've come across more and more systemic issues that have made this experience more challenging, ya, but also more determined to do something about it.

For the November unit, I finally got on my game and formulated Thanksgiving themed projects which formed a cross-curricular approach which teachers loved. Kindergarten to 2nd grade created Thanksgiving place mats with scaffolded complexities, but still challenged the students to learn about the Plymouth colony, the Mayflower, pilgrims, hexagons & pentagons, complex patterns, and acrostic poetry ALL in one project. Grades 3-5 created Thanksgiving colonies, which turned out to be a huge success. The students were taught about map scaling, horizontal and vertical lines, point plotting on a map, map legend, the Plymouth colony, the Mayflower, the first Thanksgiving, the Compass Rose, cardinal directions, and how to operate a ruler (yes, several of them didn't know how to differentiate inches and centimeters, or even tell that twelve inches are in one foot). But in the end, they were able to cut out 1/2 inch thick lines and tell me where everything is on a map using their map legend.

Christmas was a little more laid back, but it gave me the chance to add some spirit to the school. To cheer up the aura of the school, I made a huge Christmas tree in the hallway and had students create ornaments based on the project we undertake. Kindergarten made Rudolph ornaments, 1-2 made Grinch ornaments, and 3-5 made ornaments based on the country they read about with different Christmas traditions than Americans. Once again, it was still a learning experience, but no where near as rigorous.

So that brings me to the next big thing -- I'm no longer an Art teacher. Well, technically I have one more week in it, but after this week, I'll be the new Special Education teacher/Interventionist at Rosenwald. Not only that, I'll be instructing the emotionally disturbed students (mainly boys).

No this is not a joke, and yes, perhaps I'm a little nuts. But this goes back to the challenge I face of confronting these systemic problems within Louisiana's education system. As much as I was able to accomplish in Art, it wasn't gratifying, and didn't give me any personal bond with the students. The only way to simplify the situation is with an analogy.

Suppose the students were like puppies and their primary teacher was their owner. Over a period of time, that respect and loyalty builds between the two, while, me, the Art teacher, is the guy who the puppies see now and again who gives them treats and pets them. Despite everything I can try to do for students in my 30 minutes per day, they would never see me as he nurturing figure who can play an integral role in the lives. For this reason, working as a special education teacher or interventionist will leave me with one small bunch who I can formulate a significant bond with.

So what if they're a little wild or angry, Papa Bear wants his group of cubs, and he's prepared for whatever they might try to pull. Rosenwald left me with little for Art, and I am leaving it with a replenished storage of supplies for the semester and beyond. I raised over $1150 during my time as an Art teacher, and I'm applying to earn $1500 more before I leave. Now as a substantial teacher, I'm ready for the next challenges and opportunities. Most of all, I look forward to finally having the opportunity to touch these kids' lives (something that few others have done for these boys).

No comments:

Post a Comment