Sunday, February 6, 2011

Thank you Mother Nature

Wednesday night I received an automated voice message from Pointe Coupee School Board that Thursday classes will be canceled due inclement weather patterns. After a casual night with some friends at a local bar, Mother Nature bestowed upon all southern Louisiana teachers a second automated message voicing the same warnings for Friday. In a fit of joy, my roommates and I organized a party at our place where our house transformed from a living space into a teacher-filled festivus.

After a long weekend of great times, the harsh reality is hitting all too hard. After our party Friday night, a low key Saturday, and Super Bowl Sunday combined with planning, I wish time could repeat itself. The feeling is simply too blissful to let go and I would give anything to hold on to this moment. This long weekend makes me miss my childhood where there are no worries or external pressures. For two full days I didn't have to think about much or concern myself over urgent matters. For the first time in ages, I was able to focus on one thing -- my happiness.

Sometimes we get so lost in our endeavors, responsibilities, and pursuits, that we lose track of what matters most. Whether that be family, friends, your health, or your happiness, one can easily lose grasp of reality because he/she immerses themselves in work. Then you form a tunnel vision with the only thing in sight being your end goal. How you reach that is by any means necessary. Skip a few days at the gym here and there. Eat out here and there. Forget to talk to family and friends at times. Suddenly, after so many mishaps, you realize you've gained twenty pounds and haven't talked to your family in over 3 months. It is so easy to lose track of reality, and when we do, we don't realize it until we are reminded (probably by those you've neglected, ironically).

Last weekend, I was at a TFA house of first year corps members where Emma Kingdon, Madyson Lubba, Alexandra Sullivan, and Julia live. They've been close with my roommates and me since the beginning, and they had people over to hang out. With several friends around me, Evan (best friend/roommate)turned to me and stressed, as he's done so many times, that I should have so much more confidence. At that moment, Fas, who is a second year teacher and absolute stud in the classroom, looks at me, and says, "Marco, you have the best qualities of me, Aaron (roomy), Sean (roomy) and everyone in this classroom and are better than my best qualities."

This is coming from a guy who was Mr. Illinois football two years in a row in high school, who wrestled at the elite program of the University of Iowa, who was accepted into the University of Texas Law School, and who continues to perform impeccably in the classroom. When he said that, I honestly couldn't believe it. But he meant it and everyone within ear shot agreed. A compliment such as that can be an ego booster, but can also be a reminder of one's potential in a time where failure and hardship are prevalent. I've been trying my best to help my boys in the classroom, but I've experienced so many bad days and failures that any sort of success just seems surreal, perhaps even too hard to believe. But once in a while, reminders like the one from Fas and this weekend can show one how beautiful life really is. Weekends such as this one can remind us that despite the uphill battle we walk into every week, the other side will have a steady drop into greener pastures.

No comments:

Post a Comment